Wednesday, August 02, 2006

PBIM 2006 Part 1: The preparation

PBIM 2006 Part 1: The preparation

It all started with an unexpected phone call from a dear friend who is eternally doomed to serve the draconian lords deep in the heart of Felda Jengka, Mich. Yes, news of the impending Penang Bridge Run seems to reach far and wide, even in areas with shoddy TV receptions.
Fearful of the constant harrassment and ridicule I'll have to suffer from her should I not complete the race, I started to take the weekend jogs around Sg. Nibong field a bit more seriously. 22 km is not a short distance to cover. With the average distance of approx. 700 meter per round, I would need to complete a staggering 31 rounds around the field! Stll, I persevered and by the time of the race day, I could actually maintain my stamina for 10 rounds non stop. 31 rounds is still too gargantuan a task for yours truly.

Besides the Mich factor, the constant tip and tricks published by Fang Fang and company really help, especially on the banana diet! However, I would have wished that google Earth never have existed. I nearly 'patah semangat' when the actual satelite image of the bridge was circulated by the team. My god, is the bridge really THAT long?


The days leading to the race were one of the more interesting ones. We really ate good food. Herbal chicken concocted by jlaw on Friday Nite, Carbo loading for Saturday lunch, sweet potatoes to detox during for tea time, and Chinese "zhu chao" fortified with marmite chicken (okay this isn't the healthiest of food, but still...) Alrite, looks like we're all set for the run!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home